Information for Landlords – Alterations To Rental Premises By Tenants

So your Tenant wants to make alterations to the rented premises.  Can they do this?  Yes, providing they obtain consent from the Landlord and that the costs associated with the alterations and any rectification required at the end of their tenancy is at the Tenant’s expense.

Can you as a Landlord withhold consent from the Tenant to make alterations to the property?  Yes, if the alterations are not considered minor in nature, however if the alterations are considered to be of a minor nature, you as a Landlord cannot unreasonably withhold consent.

So what defines an alteration as being minor in nature?  The Real Estate & Property Industry Reforms coming in to effect on 23rd March 2020 include the outlining of what fixtures, alterations, additions or renovations are considered to be minor in nature.  These are as follows:
– Securing furniture to a wall of premises, other than a tiled wall, if it is necessary for the safe use of the furniture;
– Fitting a childproof latch to an exterior gate of a single dwelling;
– Inserting fly screens on windows;
– Installing or replacing an internal window covering, installing cleats or cord guides to secure blind or curtain cords;
– Installing child safety gates inside the premises;
– Installing window safety devices for child safety;
– Installing hand-held shower heads or lever-style taps for the purpose of assisting elderly or disabled people;
– Installing or replacing hooks, nails or screws for hanging paintings, picture frames and other similar items;
– Installing a carriage service for connecting a phone line or accessing the internet and any facility or customer equipment associated with the provision of the service;
– Planting vegetables, flowers, herbs or shrubs if
1. Existing vegetation or plants do not need to be removed, and
2. For shrubs, the shrubs will not grow to more than 2 meters in height;
– Installing, on the residential premises to which the residential tenancy agreement relates, a wireless removable outdoor security camera;
– Applying a shatter-resistant film to windows or glass doors;
– Making a modification that does not penetrate a surface, or permanently modify a surface, fixture or the structure of the premises

As a Landlord, when providing consent to the Tenant’s request to make minor alterations to the rented premises, you do have the right to stipulate, where appropriate, that the alterations made are carried out by a licensed trade.

As a Landlord, you do also have the right when consenting to the Tenant’s request to make minor alterations to the rented premises, that the Tenant be required at the end of their tenancy, at the Tenant’s expense, to return the property to its original condition (providing fair wear and tare).